29 July 2013





Chips, chips, and chips...

The room I was most nervous about when we bought the house was the craft room. You see, we got a USDA loan. It was awesome, but upon scouring message boards, I found some people had been denied based on chipping paint. This room had lots of chipped paint and I just knew the assessor would deny our loan because of it. Obviously, it didn't. Get a load of the befores.


For the first six months we had the house, the craft room was lovingly called the "Room of Requirement". We stored everything in here and it was wonderfully out of the way.

This room is very out-of-the-way. We decided to start here for just that reason. We figured if we take as long as we wanted here, and if we messed anything up, it wouldn't be in the public view. You can see an earlier update we did that was mostly about this room here. This room, along with it's adjoining one, was Zach's first go at refinishing hardwood floors and our first go at painting trim.
The craftroom is behind him
I love to craft, seriously love it. Unfortunately, everywhere else we've lived, I've had to store away my crafts in random boxes and bags, which isn't conducive to crafting. When I saw the "sleeping porch", I immediately called dibs. Spoilers: Zach let me have it.

Okay, so enough reminiscing, here's the pictures.

Here's my sewing corner. If you sew, you know how blissful it is to be able to lay out fabric on a table, cut it, work on it, and leave it there. I can do that here... love. See those pictures? They're still the only things hung on the walls. They're cheap Walmart frames painted with navy blue spray paint. Then I had black & whites printed of my nieces and hubby. I love the grey color on the walls, too. It just ties it together.

Check out those curtains. I fell all over the chevron trend. I Etsy-ed my little heart out and found curtains like these. They're beautiful, but I can't afford $119 for two panels. So, I DIY-ed 'em. I'm sure the Etsy ones are beautifully lined and the hems are straight unlike mine, but since it was for my craft room, I just went for some cheap Walmart fabric. I made all six mid-length panels for about $35 and a few hours. We hung them up with Dollar General curtain rods ($1ea). I'm pleased.

Basically the same shot, but this time look at the table skirt. See my giant roll of burlap back there? Yep, I made it from that. I made four different sections with pleats. Then I stitched on some Velcro, glued the opposite sides down to the table and attached it to the table. It's great at hiding my storage drawers. My current project is sitting on my table - flower pens for my desk at school.

When Zach was finishing this room, he surprised me by putting in a chalkboard wall. Did I mention I love him? He's amazing. So in this corner I have some more storage space (not currently organized or utilized). Right now I have one of my favorite verses on the chalkboard wall, James 4:7-10

"So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet."




Seriously, look at those floors. Zach is amazing - he did every single plank of them through the whole house, by himself. I'm a blessed lady! Also, the chair. How cool is that? It's a vintage office chair (maybe from a courthouse?) that my mom gifted me for my birthday. I sewed a chair cushion to match the navy blue and orange theme, and attached it with ribbon. 

There you have it! My craft room is a wonderful woman-cave. It's great to lay out all my "stuff" and leave it. I'm so thankful that Zach let me have this space as my own. Now, what do we have left to do?
  • New light fixture
  • Fix a few windows
  • Paint/Repair the ceiling
  • Install door weatherstripping
A few side-by-sides:




So... what do you think?

Popular Posts From The Last Week

People Who Are Better Than Me