31 July 2014

I mean that in the most endearing way possible. Every time I looked at our front door, it made me think of my grandparents house. They've had the exact same door since I was little. We lovingly called it our grandpa door. However, we didn't really like the obnoxiously shiny chrome door as the focal point of our home. We have been looking for a new door since we moved in, but nothing comes in a 38" door without being special ordered (read: too expensive). We'd looked at some options to re-frame the door into a smaller, normal-sized door, but seriously a 38" door is nice for moving furniture in and out. So we waited.

Then, I got sick of it. I started doing some online searching to find out how we could fix and saw that a few people had spray painted their metal doors. We figured it couldn't hurt anything, so we took down the door, unscrewed all the pieces, removed the windows, and started painting. We considered white, tan, and a few other colors, but finally decided on our favorite stand-by, oil rubbed bronze by Rustoleum (they don't pay me, I just love them). We thought it might warm-up the outside of the house a bit and look nice with the brick.

The trickiest part was painting the edges of the windows. We finally decided to tape them and cover the glass (plastic?) with pieces of garbage bags. It worked! We also decided to replace the handle and springs while we had it taken apart, so now we can lock the door and it doesn't slam shut (or open!).

This project literally took us a few hours and made a huge different in the way our house looks - not bad for the cost of two cans of spray paint! We think taking off the "fencing" was a major improvement too. I wish I could show you how it has changed the whole look, but showing full pictures of the front of my house creeps me out - sorry! But just know that there is now a super cute wreath on that door! Oh, and the door has definitely held up against rain and heat over the past few months. It looks the same as the day we painted it.




Popular Posts From The Last Week

People Who Are Better Than Me