08 June 2013

Here's a super easy DIY project that adds a ton of interest to an otherwise boring box spring, AND is much better than the alternative of a bed skirt - upholstering!



Pinterest is full of cute burlap projects - and I like burlap. So, a few months ago, I logically bought 50 yards of burlap on Amazon. Free shipping makes it all okay.


This project took me about three yards of fabric, staples, a staple gun, and around 45 minutes. Eek, I've only got 47 yards left! Did I mention it's a no-sew project?

I used this tutorial from Momma Rake. She did a great job of taking step-by-step pictures, so go here if you'd like to see it - I'm not going to try to do a full tutorial because her's is so good.

We got a twin bed to go in our little guest bedroom. We finished the floors and painted it grey. I've decided that I wanted to use orange in that room and the craft room. I found a great quilt at Target with the color  "clownfish orange" and decided that burlap would look great with it. Plus - I really wanted to do this project somewhere!

First, I cut four pieces that would cover each corner of my box spring.

I then stapled them down. This is when I realized that I only had wood on one side of my box spring. I went ahead and tried to staple the burlap into the parts of the box spring that had the most fabric possible... we'll hope that this holds up. I'm hopeful.


Next, I laid out my fabric so it would have an overhang on both sides and cover the entire length. I didn't use a ruler or cutting board this whole time, I just laid it over the box spring and measured that way.


At the corner, I folded it over slightly to create a faux pleat and stapled it in.

I really need to do my nails...
Do this on each corner as you work your way around. Your finished "pleats" will look something like the pictures below. Make sure you pull the fabric tight as you staple.


Finished! A super easy DIY project that should add some fancy and interest to our little guest bedroom. I'm okay with the little bit of blue that shows through, I don't think it will be noticeable once it's in the room, but you might want to do two layers of burlap or a more solid fabric to stop the box spring fabric from showing through.

We're re organizing our basement...
how do we already have this much stuff?! 

I'll blog later about our VERY inexpensive way of creating legs that attach to the box spring.








Popular Posts From The Last Week

People Who Are Better Than Me